The debate on personalized genetic testing

An estimated 848, 000 men and 790,000 women will be diagnosed with some form of cancer this year according to the American Cancer Society.  New genetic sequencing technologies have made it possible to get personalized genetic tests to determine one’s risk for developing a disease, including many different types of cancers.  The goal of genetic testing is to utilize the results that may indicate the presence of a disease-associated gene mutation to determine appropriate preventative care or targeted treatments.

So why have experts from the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists  (ACOG) recommended against individuals using such technologies to provide answers about their personal genetic risks? To read more, visit the Oncofertility Consortium blogsite.

2 Comments

1. DNA Bioservices
    Posted August 30, 2012 at 6:15 am | Permalink

I believe has the right to know whether or not they are at risk of medical issues and DNA testing can be the answer to that. However, as much as the privilege is beneficial, everyone should not be subjected to the test as if its a requirement.

2. gonorrhea testing
    Posted December 8, 2012 at 12:17 am | Permalink

What a great blog, so happy I discovered it. I’ll definitely let my my buddies all about this one & I’ll come back soon.

Post a Comment

Your email is never shared. View our commenting policy. Required fields are marked *

*
*